Skip to main content

//joy made full//

“Hello” the morning sun whispers. 

Eyes squinting, I mutter some encouragement to myself as I urge myself to wake up. 


Tea in hand, I sit down at the well weathered wooden desk. The chair, ragged with a diy kitenge chair pad made years ago, falling apart at the seams. 


Waiting to be remade. 


And yet, it is here where I find myself wanting to be. The light seeping through the side window of the room - casting highlights on my forest green mug of steaming tea and sending sunshine cascading along the wall before me. For a moment  I’m captivated by the words etched into its being -


Joy. 

In the waiting. 


I sit and I reflect. 

Everyone is waiting for something. 


A healing. 

For provision.

A change in circumstance. 

For direction. 

An unanswered prayer. 


But having joy in the waiting - 

that’s harder to come by. 

So, how? 


If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. - John 15:10-11


His Word brings joy. 


My ultimate joy is not dependent on the situation surrounding me. It’s not found in what’s happening or what’s being deferred. 


It’s so much deeper than my happiness. 


Joy is found in the reflection of my dependence on the One who carries me during the waiting. I can rejoice in the middle of the longing for something more, and be thankful for the place I’m currently in. 


Keeping his commandments and by abiding in His love, 


in the waiting

in the wrestling 

in the wondering


There, even in the middle - 

His joy can be found, full to the brim in me. 

And full to the brim in you. 


The pattering of growing feet are heard moving about. The house, once quiet is becoming full of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

//in-between places//

I long to see beyond the barriers  and blockades standing in my way. Past a wilderness of tangled weeds  and leaf-lost, barren trees in an ocean of unruly overgrown green.  I can get so caught up with the circumstance or situation standing before me. I see the thorns threatening to pierce and feel myself recoil at the thought of pressing on through the jaggers.  Soon forgetting. Soon questioning.  Soon doubting.  That the path set before me is a good one.  Even when I don’t see the sunrise from the valley. Even when I can’t find a foothold on a steep climb. Even when I stumble along a rocky path.  “Come. Follow me.”  A beckoning carried by breeze,  lingering there in the remaining leaves rustling. To walk through and press on.  To push past what’s threatening my perspective.  To catch a glimpse of what’s to come.  And to settle into an undeniable understanding that He will carry me on.  Even when I’m caught in the middle of where  He is taking me and where I’ve come from. “He refreshes

//kampala, and the horrible, no good, very bad vacation//

  It all began when we decided to leave our home in the bush of Northern Uganda and take a little trip to Kampala. After 6 hours in the vehicle, my husband took our three wired-from-travel kiddos for a quick swim in the little pool at our Airbnb. We had just arrived and I enjoyed a few minutes of peace before they returned. Unfortunately, our 4 year old took on a mouthful of water and threw it back up. Then my eldest son began to shout, saying there was a dead rat at the bottom of the pool. This was the start of our terrible, horrible, no good, very bad getaway. Well, as it turned out the dead rat was actually a water logged leaf. The panic in my chest at the thought of my daughter gulping down dead rat water loosened vaguely, but I can't seem to get that image out of my head. We won’t be going back to the kiddie pool anytime soon. We were excited to order in from Pizza Hut because it tastes like “home”, but Jumia wasn’t working and our order for a meter long pizza was cancelled 4

//of joy//

They who dwell at the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your signs. You make the dawn and sunset shout for joy. - Psalm 65:8  During the long and lingering days of dry season, I tend to remain inside with the comfort of a fan. Within the shady covering of our house I am hidden - for fear the suns intense rays will cause me to melt the moment I walk outside. However, the evenings provide some relief and much needed freshness to the air. The world around me begins to cool down ever so slightly. I sling my camera over my shoulder and head out for a quick walk around the wild land surrounding us.  I quicken my pace to get to the edge of our garden for a clear view as the sun begins its swift descent from its throne in the sky. The neighboring fields and gardens burned in recent weeks are now spotted with green shoots already pushing up through blackened soil. The trees and dry brush creating a shadowy frame set against a now magical sky.  Before me, colors intermingle in a painted mosaic o