Skip to main content

//tending//

 

The canopy spread out above me, offering much needed comfort and coolness in the peek of the day. Covering like a leafy blanket, sheltering my being from the scorching rays of the afternoon sun. 


I sit and I swing. 


The gentle and steady creaking of a well used green hammock chair, rocking me to calm. Swaying away worries, stress and the anxious thoughts that have tried to take over the past few days. I breathe deep, reminding myself that all these lingering and uncomfortable things will one day pass. 


Just probably not in the timeline I want. 


The breeze refreshing, as a twittering orchestra of trills and birdsong echo across the gardens before and behind me. 


I’m hemmed in. 


This space has been all but forgotten until now. Three hanging pots still cling to their sturdy branches, but two of them have seen better days. 


They need some tending to. 


Come to think of it, I feel like those once flourishing vines in the pots, weary and worn from a lack of receiving something life giving. The anxieties of uncertainty have been creeping in, pulling the nutrients from my soil, my surroundings - and ultimately from me. Dryness has been trying to set in and I’m feeling parched, desiring an oasis overflowing. 


And as I sit here in this gift of a peaceful moment, my thoughts have begun to clear and I’m reminded of my own need for tending. Not the tending I’ve been forgetting for these sad looking plants cocooned in their pots, but the tending only the Lord can provide. 


The tending that I’ve been failing to see as my deepest need. 


So often, I fall into frustration with all the things I want to fix, cannot fix and then feel the failure of my inability to fix. When I am brought low enough to see clearly, my most crucial need is for the tending of another. 


It’s not something I can do for myself, but it is something I can receive. 


To release what I try to control and surrender all the unknown things to a God who delights in meeting me where I’m at. From frail and barely surviving to thriving and pouring over, is in the gentle hand of this Great Gardener. 


When I fail to return to the true vine - the true giver of life, I begin to wither under the pressures, the instability and the stresses of insurmountable surroundings that try to wear me down.


Cultivating life from the areas I thought had all but given up - He uproots the weeds of distress and lavishes his loving kindness on the areas we need it the most. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

//in-between places//

I long to see beyond the barriers  and blockades standing in my way. Past a wilderness of tangled weeds  and leaf-lost, barren trees in an ocean of unruly overgrown green.  I can get so caught up with the circumstance or situation standing before me. I see the thorns threatening to pierce and feel myself recoil at the thought of pressing on through the jaggers.  Soon forgetting. Soon questioning.  Soon doubting.  That the path set before me is a good one.  Even when I don’t see the sunrise from the valley. Even when I can’t find a foothold on a steep climb. Even when I stumble along a rocky path.  “Come. Follow me.”  A beckoning carried by breeze,  lingering there in the remaining leaves rustling. To walk through and press on.  To push past what’s threatening my perspective.  To catch a glimpse of what’s to come.  And to settle into an undeniable understanding that He will carry me on.  Even when I’m caught in the middle of where  He is taking me and where I’ve come from. “He refreshes

//kampala, and the horrible, no good, very bad vacation//

  It all began when we decided to leave our home in the bush of Northern Uganda and take a little trip to Kampala. After 6 hours in the vehicle, my husband took our three wired-from-travel kiddos for a quick swim in the little pool at our Airbnb. We had just arrived and I enjoyed a few minutes of peace before they returned. Unfortunately, our 4 year old took on a mouthful of water and threw it back up. Then my eldest son began to shout, saying there was a dead rat at the bottom of the pool. This was the start of our terrible, horrible, no good, very bad getaway. Well, as it turned out the dead rat was actually a water logged leaf. The panic in my chest at the thought of my daughter gulping down dead rat water loosened vaguely, but I can't seem to get that image out of my head. We won’t be going back to the kiddie pool anytime soon. We were excited to order in from Pizza Hut because it tastes like “home”, but Jumia wasn’t working and our order for a meter long pizza was cancelled 4

//of joy//

They who dwell at the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your signs. You make the dawn and sunset shout for joy. - Psalm 65:8  During the long and lingering days of dry season, I tend to remain inside with the comfort of a fan. Within the shady covering of our house I am hidden - for fear the suns intense rays will cause me to melt the moment I walk outside. However, the evenings provide some relief and much needed freshness to the air. The world around me begins to cool down ever so slightly. I sling my camera over my shoulder and head out for a quick walk around the wild land surrounding us.  I quicken my pace to get to the edge of our garden for a clear view as the sun begins its swift descent from its throne in the sky. The neighboring fields and gardens burned in recent weeks are now spotted with green shoots already pushing up through blackened soil. The trees and dry brush creating a shadowy frame set against a now magical sky.  Before me, colors intermingle in a painted mosaic o